The Sandman welcomes everyone to the world of dreams this summer. The release date for Netflix’s series adaptation of Neil Gaiman’s beloved DC graphic novel was just announced during the streamer’s Geeked Week.
Last year’s Geeked Week unveiled the first teaser for the series, hosted by executive producer Gaiman himself. Netflix describes The Sandman as “a rich blend of modern myth and dark fantasy in which contemporary fiction, historical drama and legend are seamlessly intertwined”.
The Sandman is set in the Dream Realm, which is ruled by Morpheus aka Dream (Tom Sturridge). He can move between his realm and that of the human world. Afterwards, he is captured and held captive by occultist Roderick Burgess (Charles Dance), causing the threat of reality itself. When Morpheus escapes, he must work to fix his cosmic and human mistakes.
Here’s everything we know about The Sandman so far.
Sandman release date
Netflix has set The Sandman release date for Friday, August 5.
All 11 episodes of Sandman will drop at the same time.
The road to its release was long and winding. Various attempts at adaptation have languished in development hell. Gaiman was first approached in 1991 about a film by DC sibling Warner Bros.
In 2013, David S. Goyer (who wrote several Batman movies) pitched a Sandman movie starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt was attached to star. However, the actor left the project due to creative differences.
In June 2019, Netflix picked up the rights as part of a deal with Warner Bros. The series was developed by Gaiman, Goyer and Allan Heinberg. Gaiman pledged to be more involved in The Sandman than he had been in the television adaptation of American Gods.
The Sandman Cast
The cast of Sandman is led by Tom Sturridge as Morpheus, aka Dream, the King of Dreams and Lord of Dreams. He is one of the seven Endless, who embody eternal concepts. Her siblings include Desire and Death.
Sturridge is joined by:
- Gwendoline Christie as Lucifer, the ruler of Hell.
- Vivienne Acheampong as Lucienne, the Dream’s librarian.
- Boyd Holbrook as The Corinthian, a nightmare that escaped the Dreaming.
- Charles Dance as Roderick Burgess, a quack occultist.
- Asim Chaudhry as Abel, a resident of the Dreaming, based on the biblical figure.
- Sanjeev Bhaskar as Cain, a dream resident and Abel’s brother.
- Kirby Howell-Baptiste as Death, Dream’s sister.
- Mason Alexander Park as Desire, Dream’s androgynous brother.
- Donna Preston as Despair, Dream’s sister who is Desire’s twin.
- Jenna Coleman as Johanna Constantine, occult detective and ancestor of John Constantine.
- Joely Richardson as Ethel Cripps, Burgess’ lover and John Dee’s mother.
- David Thewlis as John Dee, Cripps’ crazy son.
- Kyo Ra as Rose Walker, a young woman targeted by the Corinthian.
- Stephen Fry as Gilbert, Rose’s bodyguard.
- Razane Jammal as Lyta Hall, Rose’s widowed friend.
- Sandra James-Young as Unity Kinkaid, Rose’s benefactor who has recently awakened from a century-long slumber.
- Patton Oswalt as the voice of Matthew the Raven, Morpheus’ emissary.
- Mark Hamill as the voice of Mervyn Pumpkinhead, concierge of the Dreaming.
The Sandman Trailers
Geeked 2022 has unveiled a date announcement trailer for The Sandman, which features Morpheus posing as the King of Dreams and ruler of the Nightmare Realm. Later, Johanna Constantine is warned that The Sandman is coming – it’s not just a fairy tale.
The first trailer was released in September 2021 during Netflix’s Tudum event and showed occultist Roderick Burgess capturing Morpheus.
During Geeked Week 2021, Gaiman hosted a preview video, in which he showed off the sets and some props. “For 32 years, everyone who reads Sandman, reads the comics. This world is ending,” he said. “I’m here at Shepperton Studios and I’m starting to see what happens when you bring dreams to life.”
The Sandman Plot
The Sandman begins in 1916, during the First World War. According to Entertainment Weekly (opens in a new tab), a few occultists attempt to capture death in the desperate hope of reviving their deceased loved ones. Instead, they take Dream and imprison him for 105 years. He eventually escapes and sets out to restore order to his Dream Realm.
Netflix’s official synopsis reads, “The Sandman follows the people and places affected by Morpheus, the Dream King, as he mends the cosmic – and human – mistakes he has made over his vast existence.”